The SunSDR2 PRO transceiver was designed for advanced operation on HF and VHF bands, even the most demanding operator will be surprised by its capabilities. Modern hardware along with the ExpertSDR2 software makes this high-performance SDR transceiver the perfect base station and at the same time perfectly suitable for field operations.
- Independent RX path based on DDC (Direct Down-Conversion) architecture
- Independent TX path based on DUC (Direct Up-Conversion) architecture
- 2 software RXs + SubRX for each of them (4 slices total) + independent wideband Bandscope up to 80 MHz
- A remote control operation, using it, you connect PTT and CW-key to the E-Coder panel. Microphone and E-Coder are connected to the remotely set up PC
- TCI interface for seamless connection with third-party software, the list of software with TCI support
- Professional TX processing module provides the most advanced tuning capability for voice operation
- ExtCTRL connector to control external devices with 8 powerful keys with open collector
- ALC connector for external power amplifiers*
- Supports use of VHF transverters**
- An opportunity to use the transceiver as a signal generator via DAC OUT connector (SMA connector)
- An opportunity to use external filters in the middle of the RF path, using ADC IN and RX OUT (SMA connector)
- Monitoring delay in CW mode is about 5-6 ms
- Input for external 10 MHz reference oscillator
- An opportunity to use the transceiver in SO2V mode
- Full duplex or half-duplex modes***
- Antenna switch with 2 HF antenna connectors and separate VHF antenna connector (Mini UHF connectors)
- Internal power-meter for HF and VHF bands and SWR-meter for HF band
- Ethernet LAN interface provides a fast and reliable connection to PC
* ** *** These functions are supported by the transceiver's hardware, but are not implemented in the ExpertSDR2 software. They will be supported in the future ExpertSDR2 software releases.
Transceiver SunSDR2 PRO configuration
- Transceiver SunSDR2 PRO
- LAN-cable for connection to a local network (1.8m)
- Power cable for connection to a power supply (2m)
- Audio-adapters JACK 6.3mm to JACK 3.5mm (2 pcs.)
- RF Cable Mini UHF — HF (PL259) 1Ft (0.3m 1 pc.)
The main improvements in SunSDR2 PRO in comparison to SunSDR2
- High-speed ADC LTC2209 instead of LTM9001CV-BA, as a result, the transceiver has a higher dynamic range - 129...130 dB instead of 118-120 dB in SunSDR2. It allows you to work with enabled preamp +10 dB alongside strong АМ stations within the octave filters bandwidth, which is very important for 20M, 17M, 15M, with low air noise level and good propagation. The receiver is almost impossible to overload.
- LPFs in the power amplifier was increased to 5th order, instead of 3rd.
- Improved antenna switch, idle connectors shorted on the case. It eliminates crosstalk from HF antennas while working on the VHF band and vice versa.
- BNC antenna connectors were replaced with more reliable mini-UHF.
- Improved HF crosstalk protection on all connectors: PTT, CW, MIC.
- Added diode protection to ExtCTRL keys. Voltage output +12...+15 V now goes via 1 А fuse and polarity reversal protection on the ExtCTRL connector instead of 5 V.
- Improved heatsink - it is a single detail instead of multilayer construction as before.
- Improved PCB board - transistors and VHF path are placed in the PCB space with the shortest outputs. Improved PCB structure, added layers from 4 to 6.
- And a lot of other small improvements.
SunSDR2 PRO transceiver is optimized for mass production with improvements, which were implemented after 5 years of manufacturing and extensive usage of the SunSDR2.
|RF ADC, bit @ MHz
||16 @ 160
|RX Frequency range, MHz
|Independent software receivers
||2 + 2 SubRX
|Sample rate, kHz @ bit
||39; 78; 156; 312 @ 24
|RX HF filters, MHz
||LPF: 65 or 9 x BPF
|RX VHF filters, MHz
||WideRX: 95-155 or SAW filter for 2M: 144-148
|BDR on HF, dB
|BDR on VHF, dB
|DR IMD3, not less dB
||-20; -10; 0; +10
|VHF LNA, dB
|RF DAC, bit @ MHz
||14 @ 640
|TX Frequency range, M
||All amateur bands 160-6; 2
|Output power on HF, W
||15 (up to 20)
|Output power on 6M, W
|Output power on VHF, W
||7 (up to 8)
|TX IMD3, dB
||25-30 on HF/VHF
|Local oscillator TCXO, MHz +/- ppm
||20 +/- 0.5
|External 10 MHz oscillator input
|Built-in audio codec, bit
||2HF, 1VHF (Mini_UHF)
ADC IN, DAC OUT (SMA)
||LAN 100 Mbit
|DC voltage range in RX/TX, V
|Recommended DC voltage, V
|Current consumption RX/TX, A
||1.25 / 5
|Power consumption RX/TX, W
||19 / 75
|Operating temperature, °C/°F
|Dimensions L x W x H, cm/inches
||19.0 x 17.0 x 5.0/ 7.48 x 6.69 x 1.97
Specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation and specifications are only guaranteed within the amateur radio bands.
Terms of the product's warranty
Empezando (Getting Started in Spanish) 11-09-19
Conexión del transceptor SunSDR2 al PC 11-09-19
"Setting up SunSDR2 PRO for DUMMIES" by Pete Parisetti, MM0TWX
El primer procedimiento 11-09-19
User Manual v1.5 20-11-18
Betriebsanleitung v1.3.1 (User Manual in German) 22-11-19
中文软件操作手册 V1.4 (User Manual in Chinese) 03-05-18
MANUAL DE USUARIO v1.5 (User Manual in Spanish) 11-09-19
User Manual Addendum, by Erik EI4KF
Adenda del Manual del Usuario version 6.12 12-05-21
Setup instructions for WSJT-X, ExpertSDR2 and MacLoggerDX
How to set the WLAN module to the Client mode
BAND-data cable wiring for the connection to SPE Expert PAs
ExpertSDR2 settings for BAND-data cable
Using the transceiver for SO2V operation
Using the transceiver for SO2V operation with SDC
Both diagrams can be used for creating two working places with a single SunSDR2 PRO transceiver.
Connecting an external PA, fan, relay, etc. to the SunSD2 PRO
In this document, you can find information about how to connect the SunSDR2 PRO to an external PA, fan, or relay to control the external BPF, antenna switch, etc.
Control cable schematic for external PA VL-1000 (Yaesu)
This schematic allows you to assemble your own control cable for PA VL-1000 by Yaesu. With this cable, you control PA's bands and RX/TX mode. This cable might be used for control of other devices, which works with 4-contact control protocol by Yaesu, e.g. PAs, antenna switches, etc.
ExtCtrl to EB300 connection diagram
Warning! Software is device-specific! Don't mix software with unsuitable hardware, it may lead to issues that are not covered by warranty!
Articles and Reviews
Expert Remote System (ERS) reviewed by Werner Schnorrenberg (DC4KU) (May 2022)
English version / German version
Published in Funkamateur
TX noise performance of modern HF transceivers by S57AL, S51RM, S50K, S53MM, S53RM, S53WW, S53ZO, S55OO, S57C, S57K, S57L, S57NAW (January 2021)
Note: SunSDR2 PRO was tested separately, later.
Review of the SunSDR2 PRO and SunSDR2 DX by Graziano Roccon, IW2NOY (March 2020)
ExpertRemote system reviewed by Werner Schnorrenberg (DC4KU) (November 2019)
Published in Funkamateur 3-2020
Review by Werner Schnorrenberg, DC4KU (June 2019)
Published in German, in the CQ DL magazine in the 8th, 9th, 10th-2019 issues
Review in Radioamater, by Pavel Misek, OK7PM (October 2018)
Review in QST by Mark J. Wilson, K1RO (October 2016)
Review by Adam Farson, VA70J/AB40J (September 2015) + addendum (January 2016)
Review in SDRZone.com by Andrew Barron ZL3DW (August 2015)
Review in RadCom by Mike Richards, G4WNC (December 2015)