Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
*****PLEASE, CHECK ALL PREVIOUS TOPICS, BEFORE CREATING A NEW ONE! DUPLICATED TOPICS WILL BE DELETED!*****

TOPIC: ESDR2 can't connect to MB1

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 02:42 #16

  • N8SDR
  • N8SDR's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 624
  • Thank you received: 294
danielwee wrote:
Hi Jack - I'm coming into this discussion a little late but have a few ideas to try. First and foremost - can you check:-

1. What is the IP of your radio? I see from the screenshot above that you have it at 192.168.158.200 - is this correct?
2. What is the IP of the machine you're running EESDR2 from? (and subnet)

its anMB1, just for some info
73 Rick
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 04:40 #17

  • Relampago
  • Relampago's Avatar
Thank you for your responses. I believe we're getting closer. I don't really know what to do next, but I'm hoping that when you read this it may be easy to find.

First, I tried using the "Discover" button in the ESDR2 Options settings. I have attached two screen captures which show that it didn't 'Discover' anything.

Second, I've examined the Ethernet settings. I have screen shots to show you what I found. I have not changed anything yet. I do not find any Ethernet connection identified as LAN9500A. There is an "Ethernet 2" connection, but it appears that it is set for DHCP instead of a static address. Please have a look at the screen captures. Many thanks for your time to help me troubleshoot this!

Best regards, Jack
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 05:31 #18

  • danielwee
  • danielwee's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 209
  • Thank you received: 29
This is why I was asking for the IP of the machine running the EESDR2. I know it is an MB1 but the problem sounds like there is a network communications issue with the radio which could arise from the two being on different IP subnets. Can you show me the IP address of the machine running the EESDR2 (even if this is inside the MB1). You can do this by issuing "ipconfig" from the CMD command line. You should then see a bunch of values - look for the ones for Ethernet adapter. Alternatively, you can right click the network icon in the taskbar at the bottom right, select "Open Network & Internet settings" which should bring you to the "Status" page. Select "Properties" for the Ethernet/LAN port that is in use.

Screenshot2021-12-05132936.png


Then scroll down until you see the actual properties:-

Screenshot2021-12-05133048.png


What I need is the IPv4 address. From there, you can tell if there is a subnet issue preventing the discovery of the radio.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 05:56 #19

  • sm4ive
  • sm4ive's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • CW is King VHF-SHF EME
  • Posts: 102
  • Thank you received: 15
In controlpanel Check Ethernet 2 thats the LAN9500A USB2.0 Ethernet adapter
Check Use this IP 192.168.158.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

When looking at your networksettings it looks like you are missing the USB 2.0 Ethernet adapter Ethernet2 should be LAN9500A USB
READ the User manual page 141 and down it looks like you have totaly meesed up network seetings,
eesdr.com/images/Document/MB1/MB1_User_Manual_ENG.pdf
GL
Last Edit: 05 Dec 2021 06:14 by sm4ive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 11:58 #20

  • N8SDR
  • N8SDR's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 624
  • Thank you received: 294
sm4ive wrote:
In controlpanel Check Ethernet 2 thats the LAN9500A USB2.0 Ethernet adapter
Check Use this IP 192.168.158.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

When looking at your networksettings it looks like you are missing the USB 2.0 Ethernet adapter Ethernet2 should be LAN9500A USB
READ the User manual page 141 and down it looks like you have totaly meesed up network seetings,
eesdr.com/images/Document/MB1/MB1_User_Manual_ENG.pdf
GL
Thanks for jumping in guys

I am pretty sure either
Uninstalling Kapersky or most likely the secure AV of Acronis- has removed and or changed those settings-
73 Rick
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 13:07 #21

  • sm4ive
  • sm4ive's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • CW is King VHF-SHF EME
  • Posts: 102
  • Thank you received: 15
Rick!
i dont see how any virus sw could change Networkcards settings.
Any how Jacks problem are related to what i described. above.
73 /Lars
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 13:28 #22

  • John-KC2QMA
  • John-KC2QMA's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 141
  • Thank you received: 83
Hello Jack, New MB1 owner here I have owned my MB1 for less than a year and it is a joy to use. Do not panic or get upset sounds like some how all your network settings got messed up. I know one of the folks at Expert Electronics can help.

Since I can be a dummy sometimes, I made a clone of my MB1 hard disk as soon as I got it this way if I get things messed up as a last resort I can restore the MB1 back to the way it was when I took it out of the box.

Once you get the radio reset you will fall in love with it! I just started experimenting with the Beta Test version of eeSDR3 and it already looking amazing although the software if far from being full featured it’s off to a great start.

73’
John
Transceiver: MB1 Prime 2021
HF Amplifier: Ameritron AL-1200
HF Antennas:10-80 Vertical, 10-80 Fan Dipole
VHF Antenna: Commet GP-9
Last Edit: 05 Dec 2021 13:29 by John-KC2QMA.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 14:37 #23

  • N8SDR
  • N8SDR's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 624
  • Thank you received: 294
sm4ive wrote:
Rick!
i dont see how any virus sw could change Networkcards settings.
Any how Jacks problem are related to what i described. above.
73 /Lars

Hi Lars

Seen a few applications can create conflicts and change network settings and how they operate with Antivirus, after being uninstalled
Here are a few examples

support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000DgklAAC
social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0a3d3819-c642-40ff-9013-be49fe57444a/cannot-change-network-properties-connections-are-missing-network-and-sharing-center

so yes, they can cause issues when uninstalled, and I have personally experienced this with a few systems in which I was servicing.

They can corrupt, change, delete and remove network adapters, bindings and addresses.

That said is one reason I was suggestion the uninstalling of them to begin with, because I suspected they or one of the ones he had was causing issues with the networking to begin with and causing his lost connections, freezing, hang-ups and performance problems with EESDR.
73 Rick
Last Edit: 05 Dec 2021 14:40 by N8SDR.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 19:10 #24

  • Relampago
  • Relampago's Avatar
Hello Team,

I have just taken more screen captures to answer your questions. Please have a look at the Ethernet settings that I've found.

As I review the problem history in my mind, I believe that yes... some software must have been fighting over the network settings and the connection with the MB1. This "can't connect to MB1" first occurred several weeks ago, and it has progressively gotten worse until now the connection was dropping out at random every time, I used the radio. You know the rest of the story. One question I have... could it be hardware instead of software? Is there anything physical in the electronics which could be failing?

I am hoping there is a way to restore whatever settings there were which came with the MB1 new from the factory. I would like to hear from Yuri, or Roman in case they ever monitor this forum. In their place you guys are doing an outstanding service to try to help me through this technical problem. I wish that there was some way to show you folks my gratitude.

Kind regards, Jack
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 21:16 #25

  • N8SDR
  • N8SDR's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 624
  • Thank you received: 294
Relampago wrote:
Hello Team,

I have just taken more screen captures to answer your questions. Please have a look at the Ethernet settings that I've found.

As I review the problem history in my mind, I believe that yes... some software must have been fighting over the network settings and the connection with the MB1. This "can't connect to MB1" first occurred several weeks ago, and it has progressively gotten worse until now the connection was dropping out at random every time, I used the radio. You know the rest of the story. One question I have... could it be hardware instead of software? Is there anything physical in the electronics which could be failing?

I am hoping there is a way to restore whatever settings there were which came with the MB1 new from the factory. I would like to hear from Yuri, or Roman in case they ever monitor this forum. In their place you guys are doing an outstanding service to try to help me through this technical problem. I wish that there was some way to show you folks my gratitude.

Kind regards, Jack

Jack what Lars mentioned is what you need to do, once that is done it should be working
again, this link eesdr.com/images/Document/MB1/MB1_User_Manual_ENG.pdf
and start on page 141 under the title 5.14.4 Network adapter settings
73 Rick
Last Edit: 05 Dec 2021 21:16 by N8SDR.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 05 Dec 2021 22:21 #26

  • Relampago
  • Relampago's Avatar
Well folks... it won't take the static IP settings. Here are screen captures for you again. I've tried entering the IP address two different ways... one with leading zeros in the suffix and one without them. Also, it appears the user manual was written with screen captures for something previous to Windows 10. You'll see in my screen captures that it looks different now.

What am I missing?

Kind regards, Jack
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 06 Dec 2021 01:05 #27

  • N8SDR
  • N8SDR's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 624
  • Thank you received: 294
Relampago wrote:
Well folks... it won't take the static IP settings. Here are screen captures for you again. I've tried entering the IP address two different ways... one with leading zeros in the suffix and one without them. Also, it appears the user manual was written with screen captures for something previous to Windows 10. You'll see in my screen captures that it looks different now.

What am I missing?

Kind regards, Jack

You're trying to edit the wrong place:

I can't screen shot it because it is much different in windows 11 I am running

But right click your Network icon in the lower right and select open network settings, choose ethernet then right click on the 2nd ethernet adapter you have (not the one connected to internet but the one for the MB1) I think in the earlier pic you had it was Ethernet2

now right click and go to properties and select IPv4- Edit the settings for IPv4 to those like in the manual (and yes, the manual is correct for windows 10)
you're just editing or trying to in the incorrect location

Here watch this it should help-
you don't need the command line stuff in beginning but watch how he opens the ethernet properties and where to set the settings under ipv4 (just use the settings in the manual)

Only enter the settings in the manual the others just leave blank don't worry about the validate (that he does in the video not needed for what you're doing)
73 Rick
Last Edit: 06 Dec 2021 01:10 by N8SDR.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 06 Dec 2021 01:10 #28

  • Relampago
  • Relampago's Avatar
I got it working!! Holy Crap!!

I had a hunch, so I looked at Device Manager and sure enough the Network Adapter for the LAN9500A had a warning. The driver was corrupted (see screen captures). I got it to find and refresh the driver, and I got it to now appear fine in Device Manager.
(Reboot)
I tried to set the IP address on IP4 to static using the Windows Network & Internet Settings and 192.168.158.1 (as noted in the manual) but it will not take it. It just keeps tossing an error message (see screen capture).
I then started hunting and I was looking at all the other bits after I had right-clicked on LAN9500A under Device Manager. I found a setting there on the Advanced tab where I could enter a Network Address (see screen capture).
(Reboot)
For curiosity I then tried again to set the IP address for IP4 as before using the Windows Network & Internet Settings, but it was the same as before... it just will not take an IP address that way. Oh man... leave it to Windows to make things obtuse.
So then I thought... I well may as well try ESDR2 and see if it will Chooch.... and Bazinga! Wow! My wife even heard me yell from where she was upstairs! All the lovely CW signals are back again!

Ok my friends... this was a long slog. I really appreciate you sticking with me on this! Thank you for all your work and suggestions. You are the reason I am back to good!

Going forward I will be looking for the Macrium imaging software to start making my backups. I don't know for sure if Acronis was what actually killed my Ethernet connection, but after seeing all the bogus process activity in the Task Manager window I just don't trust Acronis anymore. (Lesson Learned)

Best 73, Jack
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 06 Dec 2021 01:14 #29

  • N8SDR
  • N8SDR's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 624
  • Thank you received: 294
Relampago wrote:
I got it working!! Holy Crap!!

I had a hunch, so I looked at Device Manager and sure enough the Network Adapter for the LAN9500A had a warning. The driver was corrupted (see screen captures). I got it to find and refresh the driver, and I got it to now appear fine in Device Manager.
(Reboot)
I tried to set the IP address on IP4 to static using the Windows Network & Internet Settings and 192.168.158.1 (as noted in the manual) but it will not take it. It just keeps tossing an error message (see screen capture).
I then started hunting and I was looking at all the other bits after I had right-clicked on LAN9500A under Device Manager. I found a setting there on the Advanced tab where I could enter a Network Address (see screen capture).
(Reboot)
For curiosity I then tried again to set the IP address for IP4 as before using the Windows Network & Internet Settings, but it was the same as before... it just will not take an IP address that way. Oh man... leave it to Windows to make things obtuse.
So then I thought... I well may as well try ESDR2 and see if it will Chooch.... and Bazinga! Wow! My wife even heard me yell from where she was upstairs! All the lovely CW signals are back again!

Ok my friends... this was a long slog. I really appreciate you sticking with me on this! Thank you for all your work and suggestions. You are the reason I am back to good!

Going forward I will be looking for the Macrium imaging software to start making my backups. I don't know for sure if Acronis was what actually killed my Ethernet connection, but after seeing all the bogus process activity in the Task Manager window I just don't trust Acronis anymore. (Lesson Learned)

Best 73, Jack

SWEET- does it appear to be working better and more smoothly - keep us posted-
we're all here to help each other out- glad you got it going so ignore my post above showing were to set things-
73 Rick
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESDR2 can't connect to MB1 06 Dec 2021 01:31 #30

  • Relampago
  • Relampago's Avatar
Hello Rick,

I think we posted at the same time. I must have been working on my post when you submitted yours. Hi hi!

Firstly, many thanks for all your help my friend. Very much appreciated!

I read your posting and the instructions you gave just don't work here in my Windows 10. I right-click on the icon in the lower right corner and select Open Network & Internet settings as you suggest. I then select Ethernet from the left-side pane. However, when you right-click on any of the Ethernet selections in the right-side pane nothing happens. The right-click does not work. It only responds when you left click and that opens the window which you've seen in my other screen captures where it does not accept my IP4 manual settings. I thought I should share that with you and any future folks who might have to read this tragedy.

Kind regards and 73, Jack
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds